I’ve made something for you.
And if I could, I would serve it to you, too.
I’ve always liked the idea of entertaining guests.
I think it dates back to high school. My house was always a place where friends came to hang out. I loved having friends over. Once I really got into cooking and baking, I loved making them food. I remember cheesecake being a must-have at get-togethers for a long time. No get-together was complete without a big cozy welcome and a table full of food to snack on all night long.
I remember having my mom and dad come over to my new college apartment a few years back for cinnamon rolls I had just prepared. I could not wait to have them over to serve them these warm cinnamon rolls in my tiny one-bedroom. It didn’t matter that I saw them almost every day, I just wanted someone to entertain.
In Greg’s last tiny apartment, where I lived with him this summer, we had guests several times. When we did though, we spent as little time at the apartment as possible. When we did spend time there, one person could sit in a recliner, one on a kitchen chair, one on the desk chair and the other on the bed. Not so great for spending an entire evening.
Now that we have our new apartment, with space and a kitchen and a lovely and large dining table, I have such an urge to entertain. I’ve been thinking about it and imagining it. I imagine having people over, lighting some candles, playing some music, opening some wine and enjoying some beer. I imagine cooking and serving good food that will fill bellies. I imagine having nights full of good conversation.
There will be more than enough food to go around. It’s better to have more than you need than not enough.
I imagine serving this spinach and feta braid to my guests. Perhaps as an appetizer. I’ll pull it fresh from the oven, cut it up and serve it with dipping sauce. It will be enjoyed and followed by more food. By more wine and beer. By more conversation.
Our hunger will last long into the night, just as long as our stamina. With full bellies, we’ll all be ready for bed.
Whether you are entertaining guests or not, this dish will please. It’s full of flavor, easy to prepare and can be great to make for a crowd, or just two!
- *This could make one or two braids, depending on how full you make them
- 1 or 2 sheets rolled out cresent dough
- 4 cups fresh spinach
- 1 cup feta cheese
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 egg + 1 egg white
- Preheat oven to 400*.
- In a food processor, combine the spinach, feta, garlic and one egg.
- Process until smooth.
- Roll out the cresent dough onto one or two parchment-lined baking sheets.
- Using a pizza cutter or knife, make 2 inch cuts down each vertical side of the cresent dough (see photo above).
- Spread the spinach feta mixture down the middle of the cresent dough.
- Braid the cresent dough around the spinach feta mixture (see photo above).
- Once braided, brush the top of the dough with egg white.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown.
- -Like I said above, this can make one or two braids, depending on how stuffed you make them. I made one, with a little filling leftover. It could make two, they just wouldn't be as stuffed.