I’ve been wanting to share this recipe with you for awhile.
I’ve been working on it for several weeks now, and I am so happy with this curry red lentil soup I am sharing with you.
It comes at an appropriate time too, I think. After one holiday of eating heavily, looking toward another one. This soup is perfect for giving your body a break from the heavy, while nourishing it and making it feel wonderful.
Let’s quickly talk about red lentils. If you’re not familiar with them, don’t be scared. They look a little freaky, but they are a wonderful food. They almost look like a fake food, like something that has been manufactured (that’s what I thought the first time I saw them). But in fact, lentils are a natural superfood. They are packed with protein, fiber, iron and many other wonderful things. Lentils are good for us, they nourish us.
The rest of this soup is pretty basic, pretty recognizable. Some onion, garlic, carrots, celery and veggie stock. All of your normal soup components. They key to this soup, though, is the curry paste. I love using this curry paste in many different dishes and I could not be happier with using it in this soup. It adds so much amazing flavor and a unique twist on an otherwise average veggie soup. I suggest using a small amount of curry paste to start, and adding more as you please. It isn’t overly spicy, but does add a kick.
While this is a perfect post-Thanksgiving refresh meal, it will also be a staple of mine through all the cold months. Warm up with some curry red lentil soup!
P.S. – On a random note, I have been reluctant to share this post with you only because I am not happy with the photos. As I was editing them, I just wasn’t completely satisfied with how they were looking. I decided, though, that the recipe needed to be shared and I got past my dissatisfaction with the photos. Here’s to better photos next time!
- Olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 3 large carrots, chopped
- 2 medium celery stalks, chopped
- 4-6 tablespoons red curry paste
- 1 cup red lentils, rinsed
- 7-8 cups veggie stock
- Salt and pepper
- Add about two tablespoons of olive oil to a pot over medium heat. Once hot, add the minced garlic and stir.
- Add the chopped onions, carrots, celery and a pinch of salt and stir. Let veggies cook several minutes, until they begin to soften and sweat.
- Add the red lentils to the pot and stir.
- Add the curry paste. Start with a little knowing that you can add more later. Stir it around the pot, incorporating it with the other ingredients.
- Add about 4 cups of veggie stock to the pot and stir well, to incorporate the curry paste. Bring to a boil, then turn down the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until the red lentils are soft.
- Once the lentils are soft, add 3-4 more cups of veggie stock to the soup and simmer until warm.
- Season with salt, pepper and more curry paste, to taste.