Greg and I seem to be developing a Sunday morning routine. Waking up slowly (but still setting an alarm, otherwise we’d never wake!). Making coffee in our new French press. Enjoying the coffee while relaxing over whatever interesting things we see on the computer. And also, muffins. Muffins to hold us over before we enjoy a weekend breakfast that includes eggs. And then each getting to work. Him on science-related things and me on food. This past Sunday he took a slight break from his work to give me a hand with photos – notice the action shots below – love them.
These muffins are an adaptation of the vegan + gluten free pumpkin cranberry muffins I shared with you in December. Those were inspired by this recipe. I make the pumpkin muffins every week for snacking, so it’s now nice to have a new version to throw into the mix. These banana cinnamon muffins are free of white flour, dairy, butter and oil. But trust me, you won’t miss any of those things. A flax egg is used in place of a chicken egg in this recipe. Applesauce is used in place of butter or oil and my hearty oat + pecan flour blend is used in place of white flour.
These are a healthy every-day-of-the-week muffin, made using a short list of natural, recognizable ingredients. They are incredibly moist and full of banana cinnamon flavor. One muffin fills you up and keeps you satisfied.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground flax
- 4 1/2 tablespoons water
- 1 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 3/4 cup pecans
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large bananas (or 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- scant 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350*. Line a muffin pan with 12 liners and lightly spray with non-stick spray.
- Prepare the flax egg. Add the ground flax and water to a medium mixing bowl and stir together well. Set aside.
- Add the oats, pecans, baking powder, baking soda and salt to a food processor and process until the mixture resembles a fine crumb. Transfer to a separate bowl and set aside.
- Add the bananas, applesauce, sugar and cinnamon to the food processor and process until smooth.
- Add the banana mixture to the bowl with the flax egg and stir until combined. Add the oat + pecan mixture to the mixing bowl and stir until incorporated.
- Scoop the batter into the 12 prepared muffin liners and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Recipe based on my vegan + gluten free pumpkin cranberry muffins. That recipe was inspired by vegan banana muffins from Healthy Green Kitchen blog.
- If you don't have a food processor, you can try to make the oat + pecan flour in a blender. The banana mixture can be mashed together with a potato masher or fork.